I am considering relocating to London or Vancouver BC next year.
Differences between the two places
- London is very close to India. For e.g., Delhi is just 9 hours away as compared to ~22 hours from Vancouver.
- We’ll be upper middle class in Vancouver and middle class in London. We won’t starve or anything, just that we’ll have lesser savings in the latter.
- Salaries will be lower in London.
- Tech scene less bustling in London, so lesser opportunities to switch companies.
- Taxes, rents and expenses will most probably be higher in London.
- While we could buy a home in Vancouver right when we move, we won’t be able to in London for at least a few years.
- London’s outdoor scene isn’t as great as that in Vancouver. Should be okay though as Himalayas and Alps are still accessible with a little bit of planning. On the other hand, London is very close to Europe (including Norway and Iceland)!
- Public transportation better in London.
- City vibe better in London.
- It will take slightly longer to get permanent residency in London (~5 vs <2 years).
What’s the same
- Healthcare is free.
- Education until high school: definitely free in London but probably so in Vancouver too.
Other noteworthy things
- Visa situation for parents:
- While I am on work visa, they can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. That will allow them to stay for 6 months on every visit.
- Once I become a UK citizien, they can get a family visa which will allow them to stay for a longer duration and make them eligible for UK healthcare.
- College isn’t free in the UK but could be in some European countries.