The instructions below can be improved on the following lines:
- How to run on a schedule?
- How to fetch secrets (such as password and access/secret keys) from a local file.
- What all to exclude from backup. (See this for what Arq excludes, for instance.)
- Create an S3 bucket and an IAM user with appropriate permissions. (Check this for the latter.)
- Init the S3 repository with
# All from below. unset ... export ... restic init
- Create script to backup:
cat > ~/.restic_backup.sh << 'EOF' #!/bin/zsh unset HISTFILE export RESTIC_REPOSITORY="s3:https://s3.amazonaws.com/..." export AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID="..." export AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY="..." export AWS_DEFAULT_REGION="us-west-2" export RESTIC_PASSWORD="..." restic backup --exclude-caches /Users/Personal ~ /Applications EOF chmod +x ~/.restic_backup.sh