- Rest 1.5 minutes by default, 2-2.5 minutes for ME first 2 exercises.
I started this program twice but discontinued on both occasions. I don’t think I should give it another shot. I think the two major reasons I don’t stick with it is that, one, it doesn’t have deadlifts (and my OCD kicks in because I don’t want to leave out an important exercise) and, two, it doesn’t give explicit recommendation on what weights to use for bench press and squats.
Max-Effort Upper Body
- Regular barbell bench press.
- Max-Effort Exercise – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.
- Go up quickly - rest 2-3 minutes.
- Flat DB bench press
- Supplemental Exercise – perform 2 sets of max reps.
- Choose a weight you can perform for 15-20 reps on the 1st set. Use the same weight for both sets and rest 3-4 minutes between sets.
- Seated cable rows.
- Face pulls.
- Horizontal pulling / Rear delt superset – Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
- DB shrugs
- Traps – Perform 3 – 4 sets of 8-15 reps.
- Hammer curls
- Elbow flexor exercise – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
- (Keep elbows a little in front of the hips and go up only a little further than 90 degrees.)
Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
- Broad jumps
- Jump training – perform 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps.
- Step-ups (box height slightly above knee).
- Unilateral exercise – perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps.
- Romanian Deadlift. (Keep butt back and bend knees only slightly.)
- Hip extension exercise – perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps.
- DB side bends
- Weighted Abdominals – perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.
Repetition Upper Body
- Incline (or flat, if incline bench is not free) DB bench press.
- Repetition Exercise – perform 3 sets of max reps OR 4 sets of 12-15 reps.
- I recommend 90 seconds rest between repetition sets for most beginners and 3 minutes rest for stronger athletes.
- Lat pulldowns.
- Band pull-aparts.
- Vertical pulling / Rear delt superset – perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
- DB military press.
- Medial delts – perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
- DB shrugs.
- DB curls.
- Traps / Arms superset – perform 3 supersets or 8-10 reps each.
- Thick bar or heavy DB holds (2-3 sets of max time).
- Grip / Forearms.
Max-Effort Lower Body
- Max-effort lift – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.
- Walking lunges.
- UNILATERAL MOVEMENT – perform 3 sets of 6-12 reps.
- HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT – perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps.
- Circuit – Example: sprinter sit-ups, V-ups, toe touches, hip thrusts.
- Ground-based, high-rep abdominal.
- Perform 10-20 reps of each exercise and go through the circuit 2-3 times. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
- Max days all involve a personal record—that is, you’ll be doing one main exercise in which you’ll break your previous best by five pounds. Start with a thorough warm-up using the bar, then go right into singles, pyramiding up as fast as you can safely to reach your record-breaking lift, resting no more than 2-3 minutes between sets.